GrowingWireless.com, a website by the US based CTIA organisation, is packed with useful research materials and facts to help you develop your school’s e-safety policy.
Did you know, for example:
- On average, children are 12.1 when they receive their first mobile device.
- 56 percent of children, age 8 to 12, have a cellphone.
- 60 percent of families who have provided a cellphone to their child did so between the ages of 10 and 11. 20 percent provided their 8 to 9 year olds with a cellphone.
- Of children 8 years of age and younger 2 percent have their own cell phone.
- 71 percent of families with young children under 8 years old have a smartphone.
- Among children 8 years of age and younger, 21 percent use smartphones.
The website also outlines the legal requirements for parents and schools dealing with children with wireless technology.
While GrowingWireless.com is focused on US requirements, the information and advice is relevant to any school dealing with e-Safety and ICT issues such as BYOD and social media.
The website also features a useful section regarding parental control of mobile technology, information which you may want to distribute to parents of students in your school.