Microsoft has announced a number of big updates to Microsoft Teams to address a number of issues raised recently by schools. These include the ability for teachers to view more students on screen at once during video meetings — ala Zoom — and an option for admins to set the default role to attendee when students join a meeting.
Here are some of the highlights:
- End meeting for all participants – available now
Custom video backgrounds – available now
- Attendance reports for meetings – April release
- 3 x 3 video support – late April release
- Only teachers can start the meeting – April release
- Set the default role of meeting attendee – a policy setting to allow the default for meetings to be Educator is “organizer” and students are “attendees”. This means the educator doesn’t have to set this through “Meeting Options” every time – coming in early May