Stickers can be fun but are not always appropriate for use in the classroom. This guide will show you how to:
- Turn off stickers for individual teams.
- Turn off stickers for all students or groups of students.
How to turn off stickers for individual teams
Teachers and team owners can turn off stickers on individual teams by going to the team settings, selecting Fun stuff and unchecking the Enable stickers and memes box.
How to disable stickers for all students or groups of students
But you can also turn off stickers for all of your students or groups of students that you choose. To do this you need to be a Microsoft 365 administrator for your school.
1. Open the Microsoft Teams admin center by going to https://admin.teams.microsoft.com
2. Click on Messaging policies.
3. Click Add to create a new messaging policy.
4. Give your policy a name and enter a description. In this example, I’ve called the policy Disable Chat, because I’m going to use it to apply other policies as well, but you can call it whatever you prefer.
5. To turn off memes switch the Use Stickers in conversations toggle to Off.
7. Click Save.
Apply the policy to students
Now we have our new policy in place, we need to apply it to the students that we want to ban from using stickers.
1. Back on the Messaging policies page, select your new policy, and then click Manage users.
2. Search for the students and add them to the list.
3. When you are done, click Apply.
The policy will now apply to the students you selected. It can take a number of hours to take effect.
How to remove the messaging policy from a student to enable stickers again
Strangely, you can’t currently find a list of students to which a policy is applied. Instead, you need to go into each student’s account and swap the disable policy out for one which enables stickers.
1. Click on Users in the left hand menu.
2. Search for the student and click on their name.
3. Choose Policies.
4. Click Edit and then switch the Messaging policy back to the standard student policy.